November 21, 2013
- Ethics is driven by values.
- A wordsmith is a skilled user of words.
Qualities of a Wordsmith
- The Value of the Written Word
The Value of the Written Word
- In the 15th Century only wealthy people owned books because the poor couldn’t afford such purchases.
- 1716 a word for using another’s words as one’s own was title “plagiarism.”
- An original work of authorship and a work in a fixed tangible form can by copyrighted.
- A copyright license lasts the life of the author plus 70 years.
- Consumers get exclusive rights, not total rights.
- Fair use.
- Amount used
- Nature (factual verses creative)
- Effect on Market
November 14, 2013
School Credit for Internships
- Helps you learn your emphasis.
- Be aware of requirements and paperwork.
- It is also a class. It has University deadlines.
- There are academic requirements.
- Counts as a semester.
Beth Hendricks / Jeff Hochstrasser
October 31, 2013
- Advertising: used to encourage, persuade, or manipulate an audience.
- Usually sponsored.
- Commercial advertisers generally seek consumption of their product.
October 29, 2013
Public Relations is a planned process to influence public opinion through sound, character, and proper performance based on mutually satisfactory two-way communication.
#1 Skill of a P.R.
- We are responsible for getting information out.
- Be comfortable with meeting and greeting people.
Brian Howard and Ron Weekes
Video Production Jobs:
- P.R. Firms
- Broadcast stations
- Ad agencies
- Independent Freelancers
- Independent Video Production
- Web video/web-casting/pod-casting
Broadcast Journalism Jobs:
- News Director/Producer
- Assistant Editor
- Backpack Journalism
- Your first job usually comes through internships.
- Have more experience.
- Assignments become part of portfolio.